My poetic background.

My English degree is a major reason I started writing poetry

Another influence was the Greek and Roman writers who showed me how my much strain a poet can experience, that poetry was anything but easy to write.  The homeric verse being the ultimate challenge for over 2,000 years up into Shakespeare.

The Greeks explain Homeric verse as if it were scientific theory.  Today people might be shocked if they lookead at Homeric Verse closely.   I thlnk it adds masculinity to the art, which is almost lost in later centuries.
Anyone who reads the Illiad in a short time could be amazed by that book, and maybe get blessed by the Muse there after.  Yes it is violent, but it is more complex than that.  If you read it learn about the culture first is my advise.  Also be prepared and warned that the book stirs up emotions. Also unlike the Oddyssy this book is tragic and does't coddle the reader.
The ending makes the journey worth all the excitement as somethings can be learned.